I have directly responded to the Academy’s disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct. My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable. The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home. I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film. So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate.
Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason.
1. Meanwhile, which award show is giving the same awards to sexual offenders and even shielding them?ㅎㅎㅎ
2. Chris Rock sure isn’t saying anything about the event, instead decides to keep his mouth shut and see his ticket prices go upㅋㅋㅋㅋ But it feels uncanny to see Will Smith being the only one getting backlash here
3. Chris Rock, you’re not going to apologize?
4. Chris Rock became f*cking unlikeable
5. Will Smith apologized so Chris Rock turned himself looking like the victim and refuses to apologizeㅋㅋㅋㅋ This situation is freaking disgusting
6. Yup I agree this is Will Smith’s best way to stay as clean as possible from this
And I hope Chris Rock decides to refund everyone’s ticketsㅋ He needs to cut down playing the victim here
7. Will Smith made the right choice. Even if he quits the Academy, he still received his award and he made this his decision to step down so that he can quell the media and bad opinions down
8. I’m not saying that Will Smith did well assaulting him, but this award show has never done anything to more severe sexual offenders receiving awards but are doing this to him… It’s damn interesting
9. The country who will never apologize over racist jokes and hateful jokes~ the country who will never mention anything about white people assaulting others or committing sexual offenses~ We know you guys well
10. Imagine if the MC was black and the one slapping him was white yup. The Academy brought a black MC so they can make it look like they walked away fairlyㅋㅋㅋㅋ